Island Trails is a volunteer-based organization that helps maintain a group of trails around Prince Edward Island.
“Island Trails” is a not-for-profit, non-government, organization which actively supports the promotion, development and enhancement of the following trails for healthy recreation and educational use.
CHALLENGE: The client needed a completely new website showcasing and clearly defining (1) the trails that the organization maintain, and (2) all other Prince Edward Island trails.
SOLUTION: Before anything could be done on the Island Trails website, we needed to do an assessment to determine what could be carried forward and what could not. Once that was completed, a Summary Report along with the revised budget was submitted to Island Trails.
TechnoMedia developed a website that was on par with other well-known websites geared towards hikers, like AllTrails, East Coast Trail, Fundy Trail Parkway/Fundy Footpath, West Coast Trail, Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail, etc.
The new website included:
- Updated sitemap
- Programming issues fixed
- Trail listings with photos
- Map with search criteria and listings below
- Individual trail pages
- One admin page for updating all trail conditions
- Trailhead coordinates entered will be Google Maps lat/long
- Blog writing/journalling outings
- eCommerce for raising money by selling merch
- Forms with payment options for memberships and donations
- Content Writing and SEO
- Online News and Newsletters
- Bilingual framework
- French content population
The Island Trails website has great Search Engine Optimization and the best Content Management System available. It is responsive to provide an optimal viewing experience across a wide range of devices including mobile phones for hikers on the go, as well as tablets and desktop computers. It also includes a custom built interactive map which will soon transition to the provincial mapping Esri product.
Phase 2 improvements include:
- Transition base map from OpenStreetMap to the provincial mapping Esri product
- Add User review and star rating on each trail page
- Create a 4-8 image gallery for each trail page where/when photos are available
- Map filter drop downs across top of page to free up space for larger map, full page width
- Trails Archive Page with excerpts to replace lists